Thursday, August 12, 2010
Question 3
One of my favorite concepts from this class is the concept of listening. I know, I know, it seems pretty archaic, but the book states that listening is “the process of receiving, constructing meaning from, and responding to spoken and/ or nonverbal messages.” I chose this concept because I truly believe that this is a major place where mis-communication can occur. I liked that the book distinguished between listening and hearing. I also like how the book explains why listening can fail and why listening is so important. Too often, people spend their time “listening,” actually waiting to speak. The book also touches how context is such an important part of a message. This is another reason I like listening. It is harder to misinterpret what someone says when you hear the way they say it versus receiving the message in the written word, like in a letter, email or text.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment