Monday, June 21, 2010

Question #1

It is impossible to perceive others without judging or categorizing them in some way. When presented with a new person or situation our brains have a reptilian instinct to judge. Perhaps biologically, this instinct was to determine if we are safe. When confronted with something new, our brains take information we have learned from previous, similar situations, and spouts it out. This becomes a judgment. While I personally often judge people before I really get to know them, I try my best to avoid voicing my pre-judgments. This can minimize the damage that being judgmental can cause. I also try to always force my thinking in a positive direction. Like the expression, “fake it ‘til you make it,” I find that if you change the dialogue in your head from negative to positive, eventually your brain will start doing this automatically.

2 comments:

  1. Ah! I love that you used the expression “fake it till you make it.” Although I had never thought of using the phrase in that way, it makes a lot of sense. I also think that if we can somehow train ourselves to change our negative thoughts into positive thoughts immediately after we think them, then maybe someday the positive thoughts will come automatically. I also liked that you thought about it on a subconscious level which I had never thought of before, and it makes sense that we would do that although I’m not sure if it’s true. I always enjoy reading your posts! Keep them interesting =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. I think it is virtually impossible to not make judgements about others. I really like your method of trying to make judgements into positive thoughts. It is refreshing to know someone out there is not just taking a pessimistic attitude toward others. I also like to add that I have mostly experienced negative judgements from other women not men. I wonder if it just me, but I have discussed this issue with many people. But I think this goes into question two, men and women use language differently. But why is it that women are always make harsher judgements toward other women? I also find that men do not judge men in the same regard. I also think this is why men make friends easier. I swear guys can bond over liking the same movies and I find it so difficult to make new girlfriends because we make presoncieved notions about one another before really getting to know one another. Well, your post has given me a little hope. I will take your saying as good advice.

    ReplyDelete