Thursday, June 24, 2010
Question #2
Men and women absolutely use language differently. Gavin De Becker, the author of The Gift of Fear, is often quoted saying "When a man says no, it's the end of the conversation. When a woman says no, it's the beginning of a negotiation." I think what DeBecker means is that men tend to use language more literally, while women don't always mean exactly what they say. For example, when a man says, " Do whatever you want," he usually means just that. But when a woman says, "Do whatever you want," it could mean literally do whatever you want, or it could mean "I'm angry at you for not wanting to do what I want you to do." Men are often more direct. Women seem to be more concerned with the feeling of whomever they are speaking to. This is often the case in workplaces. I know I've personally noticed that when a male superior gives me directions, they are clear, with little room for deviation. But when a female does, they tend to be more wordy, and open to interpretation.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment