Saturday, June 19, 2010

Question #3

It is my belief that the conclusion is the hardest and most underrated part of a speech. Our book states that the conclusion “must generally do three things: signal that the speech is ending, reiterate the significance of the topic, and summarize the main ideas of the speech.” (pp.281) But I challenge that the conclusion must do more. It should leave the audience feeling just as impassioned as they felt during the introduction and body. Especially in a persuasive speech, the conclusion should excite the audience, and inspire them to spring into action. All to often, speakers trail off without a definitive conclusion. Or worse, speakers do the predictable summary of the speech followed by a mundane indication that it is complete e.g. shrugging, looking towards the teacher, or saying something like, “and that’s my speech.” When a speech has a weak ending, it loses effectiveness. And that’s my blog:)

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with! There is so many times that teachers have told us make sure you have an attention getter and that you have all the inspiring stuff in the beginning, but I think all too often the conclusion is forgotten. You really could not have said it better you can tell when someone is ending the speech and they just want to hurry and get done. In papers usually the conclusion is to summarize and to leave the reader inspired, so why wouldn't we do more in a speech. To me a speech is more personal and therefore you should give your audience a piece of you. Anyways so now i am just rambling, but side note i really love your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I like your ending to that post! Irony is great.

    I really think the ending is so important. I really love cooking and eating and I think that when you have a meal, the last thing you eat is what really makes the meal--dessert! I always thought of speeches in the same manner.
    It's great when people have a lot of good information to say during a speech, and it is such a let down when their last sentence and closing is a snoozer. I just think that you really need to put some words of inspiration, or something really catchy at the end so people really have something to remember you and your speech by. It's just as important to make a good impression on people as it is to say the right things, because the same speech delivered by someone else would be completely different!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too agree, that ending a speech with a good conclusion is hard. Having said that, I think without a good introduction, the audience will be lost and disinterested in what the speaker has to say. If the speech is started off right with a capturing introduction and then giving a definitive conclusion like you said, would really make an excellent speech. I also agree with you, that the conclusion should not be a mere summary or reiteration of the topic, but can be ended with a question for the audience to ponder further. Another idea might be to finish off with humor or some drama that can be tied to the speech, this will leave the audience in awe if done right and wanting more!! I love your picture, it reminds me of my kids!!!

    ReplyDelete