I would like to believe in the rationality premise, but unfortunately I have spent too much time waiting in line at establishments like the DMV and airport security to know that the average person is not only not rational, but not interested in the truth. This I especially true for the average government employee, which makes the fact that the premise underlies so many American institutions, completely enraging.
Anyone who has spent the day with a two year old will tell you that the perfectibility premise is a little more believable. It makes sense that we are born into sin, and that goodness is achieved through effort and control. Babies and children don’t possess empathy. The only reasons humans begin to behave well is because they are taught that it will help them get what they want. Goodness really is achieved through effort. Deep down we all want to do bad things, we are just evolved enough to know there are consequences.
Saturday, July 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment