Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Question 2

While I agree with Duck’s filtering theory, his idea about Physical Proximity may be a little dated in this day and age. The people of the world are now closer than ever. Between internet technologies like social networking and video chat, and the increased ease and affordability to travel far distances, Physical Proximity is probably less of a filter than it was before.
I’ve also witnessed Physical Proximity work in the opposite way. Often times potential partners can seem more attractive and perfect than they really are when they live farther away from each other.
I have definitely eliminated potential partners from consideration based on pre-interaction cues, only to reconsider them later. I think this is a natural behavior, that corrects itself as people get older and learn the error of their ways.
I tend to have a pretty open mind when it comes to what I find attractive in others. The major things that turn me off physically are piercings or apparel that could be found on John Gosselin or the cast of the Jersey Shore.

2 comments:

  1. I can see how social networking has made the world seem a little closer, but I don’t think any healthy romantic relationship is better off by continual distance. One could make the argument that distance makes the heart grow founder, but that is a temporary emotional state in my opinion. I think that if a romantic relationship is to foster and grow in a long-term positive way partners need to be able to touch each other. This seems like a fundamentally basic human need and to deny it is to ask for trouble. People who travel often for business may find themselves quickly out of touch with their partners needs and desires.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean when you say that you think that Duck's physical proximity theory is a little outdated for this day and age. Although, I understand what you mean I also understand what Duck means in his filtering theory. I am currently in a long distance relationship and I have been for the past three years. My boyfriend and I live an hour apart from each other. Before we started dating I wasn't sure if our relationship was going to work because of the long distance. But after a few months of dating I realized that it wasn't that bad. An hour is manageable. I think if it was any farther I don't think we would be in a relationship because an hour away is far enough.

    ReplyDelete